How bad is rawhide for your dog?

This is my baby boy Kiba when he was actually a baby!

Kiba, 12 weeks old

When he came home I knew I would be extremely selective on what he ate and I knew he would never taste rawhide. I knew it was gross and processed but it wasn’t until I saw the video below that I realised just how bad rawhide was for dog!

HOW RAWHIDE CHEW TOYS ARE MADE

I remember receiving treats as gifts for him when he came home and some were rawhide and unbeknownst to the givers, they went straight into the bin. After watching the video, could you really blame me?

Rawhide treats can come in pretty colours and shapes, but don’t be fooled, these are dangerous for your dog and can cause a vet bill many (thousands) times the cost of the treat!

Here is a summary as to why you SHOULDN’T give your dog rawhide:

1. They are a choking hazard

Dogs may chew off and swallow large pieces of the rawhide, which can get lodged in their throats and cause difficulty breathing. This can be especially dangerous for smaller dogs or dogs with pre-existing health conditions.

2. They cause digestive issues

Again depending on the size swollowed it can cause issues further along the digestive system, such as causing a blockage or consipation. These blockages can occur in the esophagus, stomach, or intestines, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain. This can be extremely uncomfortable for your dog and may require surgery to correct.

3. The chemicals and preservatives used are harmful

Like the video mentioned there are many chemical used in the process of making the rawhide, as well as the false colouring, flavouring and glue to construct them. Some of these chemicals can include heavy metals, formaldehyde, and other toxic substances that can cause a range of health problems.

Think this is bad?

It gets worse!

Not only can rawhide be imported from countries that have questionable practices with the safety of these chemicals but also rawhide chews may be made from the hide of animals that have been treated with antibiotics or other drugs, which can be passed on to dogs when they chew on the rawhide.

Instead of rawhide, there are other safer options available such as dental chews, rubber toys, or even fruits and vegetables. Consult with your vet to find the best option for your dog.

Kiba, 6 years old, still my baby boy

Was this helpful?

Come over on the FREE Facebook Group and share how it was helpful and learn lots of health tips along the way!

Here’s to your dog living and moving well,

Kylie 💙🐾

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram